How to clean your drip coffee maker
Millions of people around the world enjoy coffee, but purchasing it at a vendor everyday can be expensive. Modern home appliances, such as coffee drip makers, enable us to enjoy what we love. However, cleaning your coffee maker is a hassle if you make your coffee at home. This is a guide to help you clean your drip coffee maker safely and effectively.
With all the how-to advice across the internet, it is confusing to know what will work and what will not. Choosing a cleaning method that will clean, sanitize, and save money becomes a challenge. Some of the most cost effective supplies are already in your kitchen and ready to use.
Vinegar is a very inexpensive way to clean many household items, including drip coffee maker. Regular distilled household vinegar not only cleans but disinfects as well. Most people recommend using a 2:1 ratio for cleaning with vinegar. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Mix two cups of water with one cup of vinegar. Do not use too much vinegar because it will have a strong odor.
2. Pour the solution mix into the water chamber.
3. Make sure that the carafe is in place to catch the drips.
4. Turn on the coffee maker.
5. After the water chamber has emptied, wait for the liquid to cool before removing. You do not want to pour out hot liquid.
6. Pour out the liquid, fill the water chamber with clean water, and run the maker again.
7. Repeat at least three times after the first initial cleaning.
After cleaning the drip coffee maker, wash the carafe and any plastic parts with a mild detergent and warm water. Rinse thoroughly to remove any residue.
It is a good idea to clean the maker every two to four weeks, depending on how often the machine is used.
Best Cleaning Product
Tabz Coffee Brewer Cleaning Tablets make cleaning coffee drip makers simple. Tabz comes in a container of 30 blue tablets that will clean the drip coffee maker in less than 25 minutes. There is no mixing or adding other chemicals to the cleaning process. Cleaning the drip coffee maker with Tabz requires these steps to follow:
1. Fill the water chamber with water.
2. Place one tablet in the filter basket.
3. Turn on the coffee maker.
4. Let the brewing cycle finish. The liquid needs to sit in the carafe for at least 20 minutes.
5. Pour the solution into the sink.
6. Repeat if it is necessary.
7. Rinse the basket and carafe thoroughly until the blue dye is completely gone. The water should be clear.
Clean your drip coffee maker whenever necessary or every three to four weeks. Tablets usually last a couple of months.
Cleancaf is another recommended brand. It comes in three single use packets that clears lime and mineral buildup better than the vinegar method. Cleancaf is both safe and non-toxic for cleaning coffee drip makers. Clean with this product monthly to insure that your coffee maker produces a great tasting brew.